- The morning read for Thursday, November 30by Ellena Erskine on November 30, 2023 at 2:24 pm
Each weekday, we select a short list of news articles, commentary, and other noteworthy links related to the Supreme Court. Here’s the Thursday morning read: Supreme Court Looks Poised to Curb SEC […]
- Katie Hinson Lewis Named to South Carolina Lawyers Weekly’s Real Estate Power List by Jay W. Belle Isle on November 30, 2023 at 2:10 pm
CHARLESTON, SC — Shumaker Partner Katie Hinson Lewis has earned a spot on the South Carolina Lawyers Weekly Real Estate Power List. This prestigious recognition highlights Katie’s exceptional […]
- What Underinsured Motorist Coverage is and How It Impacts Your Car Accident Claimby William Manson on November 30, 2023 at 1:55 pm
The main mistake most car accident victims commit is that they don’t seek legal help to sue the at-fault party.
- Elders’ Rights and Jurisdiction: Battling Nursing Home Abuseby Staff on November 30, 2023 at 1:45 pm
Nursing home abuse is an egregious violation of elders’ rights, and it is a matter that demands unwavering attention and legal expertise.
- Defending with Integrity: Ethics in Criminal Law Practiceby Staff on November 30, 2023 at 1:33 pm
By defending with integrity, criminal defense attorneys play an indispensable role in safeguarding the rights of the accused, preserving the moral fiber of the legal profession, and upholding the […]
- Hidden Scars: The Legal Ramifications of Child Abuse and Personal Injuryby Staff on November 30, 2023 at 1:18 pm
The hidden scars of child abuse may never fully fade, but through legal action and support, survivors can find the strength to heal and move forward.
- Defense Attorney: Your Legal Career Guideby Bilal Sajjad on November 30, 2023 at 1:00 pm
Working as a defense attorney can be challenging, but many individuals love the unique challenges that this legal career brings and find it very fulfilling.
- University bias-response teams and more Munsingwear vacaturby John Elwood on November 30, 2023 at 12:50 pm
The Relist Watch column examines cert petitions that the Supreme Court has “relisted” for its upcoming conference. A short explanation of relists is available here. The Supreme Court is still […]
- Justices divided over SEC’s ability to impose fines in administrative proceedingsby Ronald Mann on November 30, 2023 at 12:28 pm
Wednesday’s argument in Securities and Exchange Commission v. Jarkesy was oddly distant from the decision of the lower court and the briefs and arguments of the parties. The decision of the U.S. […]
- Children Who Survive Mass Shootings Face Long-term Consequencesby Sara E. Teller on November 30, 2023 at 11:13 am
Survivors of shootings are substantially more likely to develop health problems.
- Addressing the Rot in Our Universitiesby John O. McGinnis on November 30, 2023 at 11:00 am
The response on American campuses to Hamas’ brutality might prompt donors to seek reform. But what is the way forward?
- John Wayne in Jerusalemby Aidan Harte on November 30, 2023 at 11:00 am
Israel confronts hard truths that are half-forgotten in the sheltered West.
- Amazon Now Offers a Low-cost Virtual Care Optionby Sara E. Teller on November 30, 2023 at 10:59 am
Amazon branches into the healthcare sector with a $9 monthly care option.
- The Use and Abuse of Antidiscrimination Lawby Richard W. Garnett on November 30, 2023 at 10:59 am
The powers of government to superintend civil society can sometimes be valid, but they should have clear, jealously guarded limits.
- Four Roommates Sue Maryland Police Department, Alleging Officers Entered Home Without Warrant…by Ryan J. Farrick on November 30, 2023 at 2:41 am
The lawsuit alleges that Prince George’s County police officers shot the dog after it tried running into another room, leaving it paralyzed and forcing its owners to euthanize it.
- New York Cannabis Control Board Settles Lawsuit Permitting Opening of New Dispensariesby Ryan J. Farrick on November 30, 2023 at 2:39 am
The settlement will pave the way for new dispensaries to open across the Empire State.
- D.C.–area magnet school at center of continuing fight over affirmative actionby Kalvis Golde on November 30, 2023 at 1:10 am
The Petitions of the Week column highlights a selection of cert petitions recently filed in the Supreme Court. A list of all petitions we’re watching is available here. In June, the Supreme Court […]
- Wedgewood, LLC General Counsel Joins BG Lawby Attorney at Law Magazine on November 29, 2023 at 11:36 pm
LOS ANGELES, CA—BG Law is delighted to announce that experienced corporate and insolvency lawyer David Poitras has joined the firm as a Partner in its Commercial Bankruptcy & Insolvency and […]
- Rick Simpson on double jeopardyby Amy Howe on November 29, 2023 at 7:57 pm
In the second installment of our new feature on advocates arguing before the court, Nate Mowry interviews Rick Simpson of Wiley Rein, who argued on Tuesday in the double jeopardy case McElrath v. […]
- Bradley Adds Construction Litigator Charles F. Blanchard to D.C. Officeby Attorney at Law Magazine on November 29, 2023 at 7:54 pm
WASHINGTON, DC—Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP is pleased to announce that Charles F. Blanchard has joined the firm as an associate in the Construction Practice Group. Mr. Blanchard focuses his […]
- Bell Nunnally Managing Partner Chris Trowbridge Elected Chairman of Global Law Firm Network Legalinkby Attorney at Law Magazine on November 29, 2023 at 7:29 pm
DALLAS, TX—Bell Nunnally Managing Partner Christopher B. Trowbridge has been elected Chairman of Legalink, a Chambers-ranked global network of 68 independent business-oriented law firms with more […]
- Brown Rudnick Welcomes Tax Lawyer Peter Farrell in Washingtonby Attorney at Law Magazine on November 29, 2023 at 7:27 pm
WASHINGTON, D.C—Brown Rudnick announced today that Peter Farrell has joined its Washington, D.C., office as a partner in the Tax group. Farrell’s practice focuses on corporate tax, income tax […]
- Bradley Partner Tom Trent Recognized with 2024 Client Choice Award by Lexologyby Attorney at Law Magazine on November 29, 2023 at 7:25 pm
NASHVILLE, TN—Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP is pleased to announce that Nashville partner Tom Trent has been recognized for the fourth consecutive year with a Client Choice Award presented by […]
- Jaime Santos makes her debutby Tom Goldstein on November 29, 2023 at 6:31 pm
SCOTUSblog is delighted to introduce a new feature, headed by Nate Mowry: Videos in which lawyers arguing at the Supreme Court discuss their cases and their argument preparation. The series kicks off […]
- Catherine Turner: A Bright and Bold Defenderby Susan Cushing on November 29, 2023 at 4:45 pm
America’s criminal justice system has been a hotbed for debate and controversy for decades. Some believe it to be the paragon of justice while others see cracks in its scales. And while the debate […]
- Are You Prepared? A Law Firm’s Intro to Minnesota’s Earned Sick and Safe Timeby Kiralyn J. Locke and Kristin Kingsbury on November 29, 2023 at 4:45 pm
Picture this, you head to daycare to drop off your child (or your dog or lizard – whichever applies to you), and you notice the other parents are carrying in fresh-baked homemade treats. Auuuuuugh! […]
- What’s in a Name? The Difference Between Names in Intellectual Propertyby Z. Peter Sawicki and James L. Young on November 29, 2023 at 4:45 pm
In intellectual property (IP), this question comes about in a different context. There are many misconceptions, misunderstandings, and myths about “names” in IP which create confusion with […]
- MSBA Post-Covid: Championing Justice, Equality & Professionalism in the Lawby Paul Floyd on November 29, 2023 at 4:45 pm
At this point, about two years removed from the pandemic shutdown, the Minnesota State Bar Association is back in full swing. But of course, moving forward post-Covid has not meant returning to the […]
- Governor Walz Appoints Dean Eyler, Kristen Marttila, and Dominick Mathews to Fill Fourth Judicial…by Attorney at Law Magazine on November 29, 2023 at 3:10 pm
ST PAUL, MN—On November 28, Governor Tim Walz and Lieutenant Governor Peggy Flanagan announced the appointment of Dean Eyler, Kristen Marttila, and Dominick Mathews as District Court Judges in […]
- The morning read for Wednesday, November 29by Ellena Erskine on November 29, 2023 at 12:38 pm
The justices will hear oral argument today in Securities and Exchange Commission v. Jarkesy. Each weekday, we select a short list of news articles, commentary, and other noteworthy links related to […]
- Watchdog or Lapdog?by Alison Somin on November 29, 2023 at 11:00 am
For decades, civil rights agencies across government have largely ignored anti-Asian discrimination in education.
- Europe Incapacitatedby Theodore Dalrymple on November 29, 2023 at 11:00 am
What is the citizen to think of European governments that cannot expel the most radical threats to public life?
- Justices skeptical that double jeopardy clause allows retrial based on inconsistent verdict of…by Ronald Mann on November 29, 2023 at 1:45 am
The double jeopardy clause of the Fifth Amendment generally says that the government gets only one chance to convict a defendant of a crime: If a jury finds a defendant not guilty, then the […]
- The morning read for Tuesday, November 28by Ellena Erskine on November 28, 2023 at 2:20 pm
Each weekday, we select a short list of news articles, commentary, and other noteworthy links related to the Supreme Court. The justices will hear oral argument in McElrath v. […]
- Remember the Foundingby Michael Lucchese on November 28, 2023 at 11:01 am
Despite what Michael Lind thinks, the American Founding is not a dead letter.
- Religious Accommodation and the Limits of Courtsby Andrew Koppelman on November 28, 2023 at 11:00 am
Unfortunately, neither red nor blue states show much interest in finding a determinatio that can provide guidance in contentious cases.
- From Slavery to Emancipation to the Civil Rights Movementby David Lewis Schaefer on November 28, 2023 at 11:00 am
Black Americans came to know and benefit from the legal system even during periods of enslavement and segregation.
- Court turns down request for relief in Arizona leadership’s voting law disputeby Amy Howe on November 27, 2023 at 10:03 pm
The Supreme Court on Monday afternoon denied a request from the leaders of the Arizona legislature to put on hold an order that would require them to be deposed about the legislature’s enactment of […]
- Soft Separations and the Future of Divorceby Jason Cheung on November 27, 2023 at 1:45 pm
Will Smith generated significant controversy when he slapped Chris Rock at the Oscars in March 2022 for insulting his wife, Jada Pinkett Smith. However, Jada Smith has reopened old wounds recently by […]
- Equality Before Egalitarianismby James Hankins on November 27, 2023 at 11:00 am
In the premodern world, equality was compatible with liberty. It’s time to return to that conception.
- An Ode to Infrastructureby Jacob Bruggeman on November 27, 2023 at 10:59 am
Sometimes it fails, but it’s remarkable how often it works.
- Caste Discrimination Ban Vetoed in Californiaby Jason Cheung on November 24, 2023 at 2:54 pm
In July 2020, the California Civil Rights Department filed a lawsuit against Cisco, a Silicon Valley tech company, for illegal discrimination, including caste-based discrimination. Cisco supervisors […]
- Liberal Arts and the Future of the Universityby Yael Hungerford on November 24, 2023 at 11:00 am
Charles S. Peirce, the founder of American pragmatism, showed the importance of liberal arts education for American universities.
- The Lives of the Feministsby Elizabeth Grace Matthew on November 24, 2023 at 11:00 am
Carrie Gress thinks feminism has been misguided from the beginning, but ironically, she replicates many of the feminists’ worst mistakes.
- Milei’s Policy Challengesby Luis Pablo de la Horra on November 24, 2023 at 11:00 am
How does Javier Milei plan to confront the four daunting economic challenges he now faces?
- Happy Thanksgiving from Canna Law Blog!by Vince Sliwoski on November 23, 2023 at 3:00 pm
Here’s to a relaxing holiday with family and friends. Enjoy the holiday! We will be back next week with our regular programming. The post Happy Thanksgiving from Canna Law Blog! appeared first on […]
- Misunderstanding Mileiby G. Patrick Lynch on November 23, 2023 at 11:01 am
By slapping the lazy “far-right” label on everyone they dislike, media figures reveal their own ignorance and uselessness.
- The Resilience of Property Rightsby Dominic Pino on November 23, 2023 at 11:00 am
America’s fiscal future may look ominous, but you’ll still own stuff.
- Is Islam a Violent Religion?by David P. Goldman on November 23, 2023 at 11:00 am
The vast majority of Muslims reject violence, but the absence of the notion of divine self-limitation has important implications for Islam.
- Risk Allocation in Cannabis Contractsby Griffen Thorne on November 22, 2023 at 3:00 pm
One of the main reasons why I am such a vocal supporter of written cannabis contracts is allocation of risk and liabilities. Parties to a cannabis contract have a number of ways that they can […]